Información

Cámara de patentes Eastman - Historia


George Eastman patentó la cámara de mano.

Una historia de las compañías de cámaras y lentes de Rochester, NY

Esta es una historia muy complicada que abarca casi 100 años, y encuentro que a menudo es difícil descubrir qué sucedió realmente y resolver los numerosos cambios de nombre, adquisiciones y combinaciones de compañías que ocurrieron en Rochester, especialmente durante el período de 1890 a 1905. Se formarían pequeñas empresas, a menudo por empleados de otra empresa, y con frecuencia fracasarían y sus activos serían absorbidos por la misma o por otra empresa. Las empresas también se reorganizarían con frecuencia con un capital más grande y un nuevo grupo de funcionarios, a menudo con un nombre diferente, y es difícil decidir si son la misma empresa o una diferente. Eastman fue particularmente bueno para adquirir una empresa y luego dejarla operar durante años con su antiguo nombre, a menudo marcando en sus productos & quotEastman Kodak Company, sucesora de. “Incluso localizar la dirección de una empresa no es una pista real de la propiedad porque a menudo tres o más empresas ocuparían el mismo edificio.

En este punto, debo reconocer la gran ayuda que he recibido de Don Lyon en la clasificación de las diversas empresas y personalidades y cambios de propiedad, y en particular por darme acceso a sus voluminosos registros y archivos. Realmente debería estar dando esta charla en mi lugar. He obtenido la mayor parte de mi información de los directorios de la ciudad, y también parte de los archivos del catálogo de George Eastman House. Aunque he averiguado mucho sobre las numerosas empresas de cámaras y ópticas de Rochester, mis registros están lejos de ser completos y, sin duda, seguiré descubriendo datos interesantes durante muchos años. Si alguien detecta un error en mi historia, espero que lo señalen para que yo pueda corregirlo todo en la medida de lo posible.

Soy muy consciente de que debería haber comenzado esta investigación antes de que el centro de Rochester se hiciera pedazos para dejar espacio para el circuito interno y el proyecto de Renovación Urbana. Algunas calles han desaparecido por completo, muchas han cambiado de nombre, se han demolido edificios antiguos para dejar espacio para estacionamientos y, a menudo, es inútil saber dónde estaba ubicada realmente una empresa. Este problema se ha vuelto aún más difícil por la renumeración de calles que se produjo en 1899 y 1911.

He omitido deliberadamente las empresas dedicadas principalmente a la fabricación de películas, papel de impresión, portaplacas y similares, y más especialmente a las empresas de óptica que fabrican únicamente gafas, que ha sido un negocio muy activo en Rochester a lo largo de los años. Por lo tanto, he omitido la referencia a empresas como Haloid, Defender e incluso Xerox. Las dos grandes empresas, Bausch y Lomb y Kodak, se han mantenido notablemente al margen de las actividades de la otra, y es posible que el historiador las considere por separado, como he hecho yo. Las diversas compañías de cámaras estaban relacionadas principalmente de alguna manera con Kodak, mientras que las compañías de lentes y obturadores estaban relacionadas principalmente con Bausch y Lomb. Ha habido excepciones, por supuesto, como veremos. También ha habido varias empresas que no han tenido ninguna conexión con ninguno de estos gigantes.

Bausch y Lomb

La industria fotoóptica de Rochester nació en 1880. En ese año, Bausch and Lomb comenzaron a fabricar lentes fotográficos, la Rochester Optical Company comenzó a fabricar cámaras y George Eastman comenzó a fabricar placas. Sin embargo, mi historia comienza en 1853 cuando J. J. Bausch fundó su pequeño negocio de espectáculos y se sentó en vano esperando clientes.

John Jacob Bausch nació en Gross Suessen, Alemania, de una familia pobre y fue aprendiz de un fabricante de anteojos. A los 20 años, en 1850, decidió emigrar a América, y después de un angustioso viaje de 49 días en un velero, desembarcó en Nueva York. Se dirigió a Buffalo, donde había una epidemia de cólera, y después de intentar sin éxito encontrar trabajo, se trasladó a Rochester, donde nuevamente tuvo la mayor dificultad para encontrar algún tipo de empleo. Finalmente, a los 23 años, decidió montar una óptica en Reynolds Arcade con el nombre de & quotJ. J. Bausch, óptico & quot. En ese momento casi nadie en este país usaba anteojos, y mucha gente ni siquiera había visto un par, por lo que sus ventas eran casi nulas. En 1856, como muestra su tarjeta comercial, su tienda se llamaba & quotJ. Instituto Óptico J. Bausch. & Quot

En su interminable lucha por encontrar trabajo, e incluso por sobrevivir, Bausch recibió una gran ayuda de Henry Lomb, un ebanista, a quien probablemente conoció en el club Turn Verein. Lomb nació en 1828 y también había emigrado de Alemania en 1849. Era soltero, y en 1853 decidió incorporarse a Bausch, donde procedió a aprender el oficio de óptico y se alojó con la familia Bausch, entregándoles sus ganancias. Al estallar la Guerra Civil, Lomb se alistó inmediatamente y finalmente ascendió al rango de capitán. Regresó a Rochester en 1863 y, al año siguiente, la empresa se convirtió en "Bausch and Lomb, óptico". Para entonces, el negocio había mejorado hasta el punto de poder abrir una fábrica en la esquina de las calles Andrews y Water. Henry Lomb se casó en 1865 y al año siguiente se trasladó a Nueva York para actuar allí como agente de ventas de la empresa. Murió en 190S, y debido a sus muchas actividades cívicas y particularmente a su gran interés en el Instituto de Tecnología de Rochester, se erigió en su memoria un hermoso eje conmemorativo en 1932 en Rochester. Por cierto, el nombre de la empresa se cambió a "Vulcanite Optical Instrument Company" de 1866 a 1876, ya que este material se estaba utilizando ampliamente para fabricar monturas de gafas. El nombre se cambió de nuevo a & quotBausch and Lomb Optical Company & quot en 1876. Después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial se convirtió en & quotBausch and Lomb Inc. & quot

Después de la Guerra Civil, el interés por los espectáculos aumentó rápidamente y la compañía construyó una fábrica ampliada en 1868 en las calles River y Water, seguida seis años más tarde por un edificio aún más grande en la ubicación actual en St. Paul Street, con la fecha de 1874 tallada. por la puerta. Durante la Primera Guerra Mundial agregaron un gran edificio frente al antiguo. Ahora se nos dice que la compañía planea abandonar todo el establecimiento y mudarse al antiguo edificio Bond Clothing en North Goodman Street.

Volviendo a 1875 a instancias del hijo mayor de Bausch, Edward, la firma decidió diversificarse hacia los instrumentos ópticos, comenzando con el microscopio para el que había una demanda creciente. Para comenzar, contrataron a un personaje temperamental llamado Ernst Gundlach, que anteriormente había hecho microscopios en Berlín y luego vivía en Hackensack, Nueva Jersey. Gundlach fue empleado por Bausch y Lomb desde 1876 hasta 1878, pero se pelearon con frecuencia y finalmente se separaron. El trabajo del microscopio, sin embargo, se desarrolló con éxito bajo la dirección de Edward Bausch, y en 1903 habían vendido alrededor de 44.000 instrumentos.

Bausch and Lomb agregaron lentes fotográficos a su línea en 1883 y comenzaron la fabricación de contraventanas en 1888. En 1892 se convirtieron en la única compañía en Estados Unidos con licencia para fabricar Zeiss Anastigmats y otras lentes. También fabricaron contraventanas Compound y Compur por acuerdo con Deckel. Estos arreglos finalmente terminaron en la Primera Guerra Mundial.

Algunas estadísticas de 1903 son impresionantes. En ese momento, Bausch and Lomb fabricaba unos 20 millones de lentes para gafas al año y había fabricado 500.000 lentes fotográficos y 550.000 obturadores. Como saben, la empresa aún existe con sucursales en varias otras ciudades y en el extranjero, fabricando una amplia gama de productos ópticos y electrónicos de la más alta calidad.

Gundlach

He mencionado a ese individuo difícil, Ernst Gundlach, que dejó Bausch y Lomb de mala gana en 1878. Su dirección en ese momento era 171 St. Paul Street mientras que Bausch y Lomb estaban en el número 179, por lo que vivía prácticamente al lado de la planta. . En 1879, Gundlach se unió a Lewis R. Sexton, y juntos establecieron y operaron un establecimiento de artículos ópticos en su casa, mientras que Sexton se duplicó como maestro en la escuela No. 7, luego se convirtió en director de la Escuela 17 y luego de la Escuela 9. .Con la certeza de que el negocio óptico estaba en buenas manos, Gundlach se trasladó a Hartford, Connecticut, en 1880, donde vivió durante los siguientes cuatro años, dando su ocupación como "óptico". Al año siguiente, Sexton trasladó el establecimiento óptico a 29 Stone Street, donde se le unieron otros dos ópticos, JC Reich y J. Zellweger. En el directorio de Rochester de 1883 figuraba como `` Distribuidor en Microscopios y objetivos de Ernst Gundlach ''.

Lewis R. Sexton murió en agosto de 1884 después de haber abandonado la óptica, y Gundlach regresó inmediatamente a Rochester. Reorganizó el negocio en 29 Stone Street como la & quotGundlach Optical Company & quot, con él, Reich, Zellweger y H. H. Turner, un maquinista, como oficiales. Afirmaron en su publicidad ser `` Fabricantes únicos de microscopios y objetivos de E. Gundlach ''. Durante los siguientes ocho años, la compañía ocupó varias ubicaciones diferentes, y finalmente terminó en 1892 en 761 South Clinton Avenue, donde permanecieron hasta bien entrada la década de 1930. En 1889, su hijo Karl se unió a Gundlach, quien vivió con él durante muchos años.

A principios de 1895, por alguna razón, Ernst Gundlach dejó la empresa y estableció una empresa rival llamada & quotGundlach Photo-Optical Company & quot en 5 South Water Street, ya que ese edificio estaba siendo desocupado por Rochester Optical Company. En un anuncio publicado en el American Journal of Photography, vol. XV, de agosto de 1895, afirmó que `` Ernst Gundlach ha cortado todas las conexiones con la antigua 'Gundlach Optical Company', y ahora somos los únicos propietarios de su patente del 9 de diciembre de 1890, bajo la cual su célebre 'Rectigraphic Rápido', ' Perigraphic ', y otras lentes se hicieron durante tanto tiempo.' 'Así, desde 1895 había dos compañías Gundlach que existían independientemente en Rochester.

A fines de 1895, el nombre de la segunda empresa se cambió a & quotErnst Gundlach, fabricantes de lentes & quot; y en 1896 se cambió de nuevo a & quotErnst Gundlach, Son, and Co. & quot; luego en 202 Court Street, los oficiales eran BW Fenn, ZP Taylor, GB Gilbert y AS Gilbert. Sin embargo, el negocio no puede haber tenido mucho éxito, ya que dos años más tarde los Gundlach abandonaron la ciudad y se mudaron a Chicago. Después de que se fueron, la planta pasó a llamarse "The Rochester Lens Company" y fue operada por Fenn y Gilbert. Finalmente fue adquirido por Wollensak en 1905.

Volviendo a la Gundlach Optical Company original: en 1895 HH Turner era gerente, J. Zellweger y JC Reich eran ópticos, y en 1896 adquirieron la Milburn Korona Company, que había sido fundada dos años antes por Gustave G. Milburn, y así agregó cámaras Korona a su línea anterior de lentes. En 1896 también comenzaron a anunciar contraventanas y agregaron el Turner-Reich Anastigmat (patente de EE. UU. 539,370) a su lista de lentes. En 1898 Turner fue presidente y gerente, Zellweger fue vicepresidente y secretario y tesorero del Reich. En agosto de 1902, la empresa adquirió Manhattan Optical Company Of Cresskill, Nueva Jersey, y cambió el nombre de la empresa a & quotGundlach-Manhattan Optical Company & quot. incluyendo la Rochester Panoramic Camera Company (1905), la Seneca Camera Company (1903-1910) y la Ilex Optical Company (1912-1916).

Alrededor de 1926 el nombre fue cambiado a Gundlach Manufacturing Company, y en 1928 fue asumido por John E. Seebold, presidente, y Walter H. Ashby como vicepresidente, bajo el extraño nombre de & quotSeebold Invisible Camera Company & quot. se fue al año siguiente y Ashby se convirtió en presidente. Sufrieron mucho en la depresión y finalmente se mudaron a Fairport en octubre de 1935, y su antiguo edificio en Clinton Avenue se convirtió en la tienda de muebles Kane. A principios de 1954, Albert Drucker, de Burke and James en Chicago, adquirió sus activos restantes y finalmente se reorganizó como & quotDynamic Optics Inc. & quot con David Goldstein como presidente. La empresa dejó de operar en 1972. En 1946, el hijo del Sr. Turner, Donald, fundó Turner Bellows Company, que todavía existe en 165 North Water Street, haciendo miles de fuelles al día para Polaroid.

Wollensak

La segunda empresa que se separó de Bausch and Lomb fue Wollensak. Andrew Wollensak fue contratado por primera vez como maquinista por Bausch and Lomb en 1882 y se convirtió en capataz al año siguiente. Ayudó a Edward Bausch con el diseño de la contraventana de diafragma Iris en 1890, y probablemente también trabajó en otras contraventanas. En 1899, él y su hermano John decidieron establecer una nueva empresa con el fin de fabricar una línea de contraventanas de alta calidad que pudieran venderse a un precio razonable. Los hermanos lograron obtener ayuda financiera de Stephen Rauber, ex presidente de Union Brewing Company en North Clinton Avenue, y la nueva compañía, Rauber and Wollensak, se estableció en un edificio en 280 Central Avenue. El Sr. Rauber murió en 1901, y luego el nombre de la empresa se cambió a Wollensak Optical Company. Al año siguiente, Wollensak comenzó la producción de lentes y obturadores. El famoso obturador 'Optimo' fue diseñado por Andrew Wollensak en 1909 y se vendió ampliamente hasta 1930. La compañía compró Rochester Lens Company en 1905, obteniendo así el derecho a fabricar la línea de anastigmat 'Royal' desarrollada por esa compañía.

Andrew Wollensak senior, presidente de la empresa desde su fundación, murió en enero de 1936, su hermano John había fallecido tres años antes. John dejó cinco hijos, de los cuales Andrew A. y Frank J. permanecieron activos en el negocio durante muchos años, y yo los conocía a ambos. En 1913, la empresa se trasladó a 1415 Clinton Avenue North en Norton Street, y en 1924 a 872 Hudson Avenue. En 1938, un edificio más grande y deseable a unos pocos metros al sur, en 850 Hudson Avenue, quedó vacío (había sido una fábrica de ropa), y Wollensak se mudó a él. Desafortunadamente, durante los últimos 15 años, después de varios cambios de propiedad, incluidos Revere y 3M, la empresa fue cuesta abajo gradualmente y en 1972 finalmente cerró sus puertas.

Wollensak era una de las mejores empresas de Rochester, y en su apogeo en 1958 tenía más de 1200 empleados. Sus lentes, contraventanas y otros productos se consideraron excelentes y durante la guerra fabricaron una amplia variedad de equipos ópticos para las fuerzas armadas. Es una lástima que no hayan podido sobrevivir.

Encina

La siguiente rama de Bausch and Lomb fue Ilex. En 1910, dos diseñadores de contraventanas de Bausch y Lomb llamados Rudolph Klein y Theodor Brueck (este último había diseñado la contraventana `` Voltereta '' en 1902) inventaron el revolucionario y extremadamente importante mecanismo de retardo de las contraventanas que involucra un engranaje giratorio y una plataforma oscilante (patente de EE.UU. 1.092.110). Este dispositivo permitió por primera vez fabricar un obturador que sería preciso independientemente de la temperatura y otras condiciones atmosféricas.

Klein y Brueck decidieron dejar Bausch and Lomb y establecer su propio negocio, que se llamó & quotXL Manufacturing Company & quot, para fabricar la nueva contraventana. Recibieron ayuda financiera de un joyero mayorista llamado Morris Rosenbloom, y establecieron su primera fábrica en sus instalaciones en 156 Main Street East. Sin embargo, pronto descubrieron que CP Goerz también estaba fabricando una línea de las llamadas contraventanas & quotX excel L & quot, por lo que para evitar confusiones, retorcieron las letras y cambiaron el nombre de la contraventana por & quotIlex & quot; y en 1911 la empresa se llamó Ilex Manufacturing Company. . Muy poco después, Friedrich Deckel de Munich solicitó permiso para usar su mecanismo de demora a cambio de regalías en la famosa línea de contraventanas & quotCompur & quot, que resultó ser una ayuda financiera considerable para Ilex.

De 1912 a 1916 la compañía, ahora llamada Ilex Optical Company, ocupó un espacio en el edificio Gundlach en 761 South Clinton Avenue en 1917 se trasladaron a 724 Portland Avenue, y finalmente en 1930 a 690 Portland, donde se encuentran hoy. En 1921 intentaron el experimento de establecer una fábrica de lentes separada en el 814 de St. Paul Street llamada "Acme Optical Company", pero duró solo un par de años.

Una de las principales contribuciones de la empresa Ilex fue la invención de un mecanismo de sincronización flash interno autónomo durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Esto fue diseñado por Alfred Schwartz, y la idea, por supuesto, ha sido incorporada en todas las contraventanas por todos los fabricantes desde entonces.

Ilex ha sufrido muchos altibajos en su prosperidad a lo largo de los años. El primer presidente, Morris Rosenbloom, murió en 1935 y fue sucedido por su hijo Rufus como presidente y E. C. Roland como vicepresidente. Roland murió en 1942 y, después de la guerra, la fortuna de la empresa se hundió a un nivel bajo. Finalmente, en 1963, los activos restantes fueron adquiridos por dos jóvenes empleados de Elgeet, Eugene Miller y Manuel Kiner, y hoy la empresa prospera con más de 200 empleados y tiene que aumentar su espacio de fábrica para mantenerse al día con la demanda de sus productos.

Elgeet

Hablar de Ilex me recuerda a Elgeet. The Elgeet Optical Company fue fundada por tres jóvenes que habían sido amigos de la infancia: Mortimer A. London, entonces inspector de lentes en Kodak, con David L. Goldstein y Peter Terbuska de Ilex. (El nombre de la empresa es un acrónimo de L, G. y T). En 1946 comenzaron alquilando algunas máquinas-herramienta para fabricar maquinaria de pulido de lentes, y con esto se instalaron en un loft de Atlantic Avenue, donde hicieron toda su propia fabricación, empaque y venta de lentes.

En 1952, la empresa había crecido lo suficiente como para permitirles comprar una antigua fábrica de ropa en 838 Smith Street. En ese momento Goldstein era presidente, Terbuska era secretario y tesorero de Londres. La empresa prosperó y con casi 300 empleados fabricaron miles de lentes para pequeñas cámaras de cine y muchas otras aplicaciones.

Londres se fue en 1960, y en 1962 la firma adquirió la propiedad del antiguo establecimiento de Steinheil en Munich, pero pronto vendieron esto, creo que a Lear Siegler. En 1964 hubo dificultades en las reuniones de accionistas y la empresa se reorganizó con Alfred Watson como presidente. Dos años más tarde los activos de la empresa fueron adquiridos por MATI (Management and Technology Inc.), que adquirió Turner Bellows al mismo tiempo. MATI sobrevivió solo hasta 1969, cuando desaparecieron. Goldstein compró los activos restantes de la antigua Gundlach Manufacturing Company en Fairport y la reorganizó bajo el nombre & quotDynamic Optics Incorporated & quot; pero también cesó sus operaciones en 1972.

La compañía óptica de Rochester

Demasiado para Bausch y Lomb y sus empresas filiales. Ahora centraremos nuestra atención en el negocio de las cámaras iniciado por William H. Walker, quien llegó a Rochester en 1880 y se estableció como & quotWm. H. Walker and Company '', en 79 Exchange Street. (No debe confundirse con James T. Walker Of Palmyra, quien hizo la cámara Takiv diez años después). En 1882 Walker se unió a W. H. Reid y J. Inglis para hacer planchas secas, un negocio que Inglis continuó durante varios años. En 1883, Walker dejó de fabricar cámaras y W. F. Carlton fundó la "Rochester Optical Company" para hacerse cargo de sus activos. Mientras tanto, en enero de 1884 Walker se unió a Eastman para fabricar el soporte de rollo Eastman-Walker, y al año siguiente se convirtió en secretario de la Eastman Dry Plate and Film Company. Poco después de esto, fue enviado a Inglaterra como representante de Eastman en ese país.

La nueva Rochester Optical Company estaba ubicada en el 9 y luego en el 11 de Aqueduct Street, cerca de las cuatro esquinas en Rochester, y al principio continuaron fabricando algunas de las cámaras de Walker. Pronto agregaron nuevos modelos propios, su innovación más exitosa fue la línea & quotPremo & quot, introducida en 1893 y continuada durante casi 30 años. En 1890, la planta se trasladó a 5 South Water Street, y a principios de 1895 a su hogar final en 45 South Street, el edificio aún existía.

En 1891, H. B. Carlton, hermano de W. F., decidió establecer una empresa rival en el antiguo edificio de 13 Aqueduct Street, a la que llamó "Rochester Camera Manufacturing Company", que fabricaba cámaras Poco. Esta se convirtió en Rochester Camera Company en 1895, en ese momento ubicada en 29 Elizabeth Street, y finalmente en 1897 en Rochester Camera and Supply Company.

En 1899, cinco compañías de cámaras decidieron unir fuerzas para formar la & quot Rochester Optical and Camera Company & quot; Eran: Rochester Optical Company, Rochester Camera and Supply Company, Ray Camera Company, Monroe Camera Company y Western Camera Manufacturing Company. de Chicago. La nueva empresa combinada ocupó el R.O.C. edificio en 45 South Street. A pesar de esta unión, sus productos conservaron sus viejos nombres de Poco, Premo, Ray y Cyclone. Los oficiales de la nueva compañía eran W. F. Carlton, gerente, con H. B. Carlton, B. E. Chase y F. P. Allen. Desafortunadamente, la nueva compañía combinada no fue un éxito y perdió hasta $ 100,000 al año, por lo que en 1903 George Eastman adquirió todos sus activos por $ 330,000, y su nombre se cambió de nuevo a Rochester Optical Company. En 1907 se convirtió en la División Óptica de Rochester de Eastman Kodak Company, y en 1918 en el Departamento Óptico de Rochester. La fábrica en 45 South Street se convirtió en Premo Works de Kodak desde 1912 hasta 1921, después de lo cual finalmente se abandonó el nombre y se vendió el edificio.

The Ray Camera Company

Al describir la formación de Rochester Optical and Camera Company, mencioné dos pequeñas empresas que se incluyeron, a saber, Ray y Monroe. La empresa Ray fue fundada por dos hombres llamados Mutschler y Robertson. En 1893, Albert Mutschler era fabricante de herramientas y John A. Robertson, capataz de Photo Materials Company en St. Paul Street. Al año siguiente, decidieron organizar un establecimiento de maquinistas y modelos en 177 West Main, y en 1895 comenzaron la fabricación de cámaras "Ray" en esa dirección. Esto aparentemente tuvo éxito, y en 1898 se trasladaron a 204 Commercial Street y cambiaron el nombre de la empresa a & quot; Ray Camera Company & quot. Con la fusión de las cinco empresas en 1899, los dos socios se convirtieron en superintendentes, pero Mutschler se marchó en 1903 para convertirse una vez más maquinista. Robertson permaneció en la nueva Rochester Optical Company y en 1904 fue elegido vicepresidente a cargo de las operaciones de fabricación.

La compañía de cámaras Monroe

La Monroe Camera Company, llamada así por el condado de Monroe, fue incorporada en 1897 con un capital de $ 25,000, siendo el presidente Fred A. Sherwood, el vicepresidente Albert Beir y el secretario-tesorero Charles V. Case. Sherwood era un comerciante de cuero en 108 Mill Street. Beir había sido fabricante de cámaras en 21 North Water Street durante aproximadamente un año antes y Charles Case era contador. Su hijo Charles Z. Case se convirtió en empleado de Eastman y fue responsable del desarrollo de la película "Bantam" en la década de 1930. La Monroe Camera Company ocupó un edificio en 48 Stone Street, pero duró solo tres años antes de ser absorbida por la fusión de Rochester Optical y Camera.

Eastman Kodak Company

La tercera parte de mi historia es la de George Eastman y la Kodak Company. Esta historia ha sido tan bien documentada que probablemente todos la conozcan, pero, no obstante, puede valer la pena resumir los hechos principales brevemente En 1878, George Eastman era un joven contable asistente de 24 años en el Rochester Savings Bank en Main and Fitzhugh Calles. Vivía con su madre viuda en 49 Jones Avenue. Un amigo le instó a dedicarse a la fotografía, compró un traje de plato húmedo y recibió lecciones de un fotógrafo llamado George H. Monroe que vivía en Main Street. Sin embargo, las placas secas de gelatina recién comenzaban a usarse en ese momento en Inglaterra, y Eastman decidió usarlas a pesar de que eso significaba que tenía que hacer las suyas propias. En 1879 hizo un viaje a Londres, donde obtuvo algunas recetas adicionales y, de paso, patentó una máquina de recubrimiento de planchas de su propia invención. Sus platos fueron tan satisfactorios que en 1880 alquiló un loft en el tercer piso de un edificio en 101 State Street, donde comenzó a hacer platos secos para la venta. Su salida principal fue E. y H. T. Anthony en Nueva York, quienes aceptaron llevarse todos los platos que pudiera hacer. Durante este tiempo continuó su trabajo en el banco, haciendo todo su trabajo fotográfico por las tardes. Por cierto, el ex maestro de Eastman, George H. Monroe, en un anuncio de 1880, afirmó que utilizó platos secos en todo su trabajo fotográfico. En 1882, Monroe también comenzó a fabricar platos secos para la venta, en 282 State Street, y continuó este negocio hasta que dejó la ciudad en 1888 y se mudó a Jamestown. El edificio fue ocupado por Frank Brownell hasta 1892.

Para regresar a George Eastman, pronto descubrió que necesitaba dinero para la expansión, por lo que el 1 de enero de 1881 se asoció con Henry A. Strong, un fabricante de látigos para buggy y amigo de la familia. Esto se conocía como Eastman Dry Plate Company, con Strong como presidente y tesorero de Eastman. Pronto tuvieron seis empleados y estaban tan activamente involucrados en el negocio de la fabricación de planchas que Eastman finalmente decidió dejar el banco y dedicar todo su tiempo a la fotografía. La planta se trasladó a su ubicación actual en 343 State Street en 1883. El edificio de peaje en ese sitio se erigió en 1914 y los tres pisos superiores se agregaron en 1930.

En 1884 Eastman comenzó a hacer una película flexible sobre una base de papel translúcido aceitado para usar en el soporte de rollo Eastman-Walker, y la compañía se incorporó como & quotEastman Dry Plate and Film Company & quot, con una capitalización de $ 200.000. Había 14 accionistas. Al año siguiente, se introdujo una película decapante sobre una base de papel. Después del procesamiento, esto se remojó y se transfirió a un soporte de vidrio temporal, y luego se empapó una hoja de gelatina transparente y se exprimió contra el delicado negativo, y después de secarlo se despegó del vidrio para imprimir. Finalmente, en 1889, Eastman y su químico Henry H. Reichenbach produjeron y patentaron una película transparente sobre una base de nitrato de celulosa. Esto suplantó por completo la película de stripping anterior y fue adoptado por Edison para sus primeros experimentos cinematográficos. No tengo tiempo para entrar en la fantástica demanda de patentes de Goodwin sobre la invención de la película transparente, que se describe en su totalidad en el libro de Taft "La fotografía y la escena estadounidense". La demanda se desarrolló durante 27 años en los tribunales y en la Oficina de Patentes, y finalmente se resolvió a favor de Goodwin. En 1889 se organizó una nueva corporación, capitalizada en un millón de dólares, llamada simplemente `` The Eastman Company ''.

De gran interés para este grupo, la primera cámara "Kodak" se anunció en junio de 1888. El cuerpo de madera fue fabricado aquí por un ebanista de Rochester llamado Frank Brownell, y las partes metálicas por Yawman y Erbe. La lente probablemente fue hecha por Bausch y Lomb. A raíz del éxito de esta cámara, el nombre de la empresa se cambió una vez más, en 1892, a & quotThe Eastman Kodak Company & quot de Nueva York, con un capital de 5 millones de dólares y en 1901 se reorganizó por última vez como & quotThe Eastman Kodak Company of New Jersey, & quot; con un capital de 25.000.000 de dólares. Eastman instaló Camera Works bajo la dirección de Brownell en 333 State Street en 1892. Se trasladó a Elmgrove Road en 1968.

El éxito de Eastman sobre sus muchos competidores se debió principalmente a la publicidad masiva y una excelente organización de ventas con afiliaciones en todo el mundo, a lo que debe agregarse su asombrosa habilidad para contratar a las personas adecuadas y anticipar lo que mejor complacería al público.

Eastman adquirió algunas otras compañías de cámaras, incluida en 1898 la Blair Camera Company de Boston, la American Camera Manufacturing Company de Northboro, Massachusetts, y la Empresa de materiales fotográficos de Rochester. Trasladó las tres empresas, con algunos otros equipos más pequeños, al edificio de PMC en St. Paul Street, cerca de Driving Park Bridge. En 1911, el edificio recibió el nombre de & quot; Hawk-Eye Works & quot; por una línea de cámaras fabricadas allí por Blair. El departamento de lentes de Kodak se trasladó allí desde Camera Works en 1913, que desde entonces ha llenado todo el edificio más varias adiciones. El edificio todavía está en uso en 1447 St. Paul Street, se expandió enormemente durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

En 1903 Eastman compró Rochester Optical and Camera Company, renombrándola como & quot Rochester Optical Company & quot, donde se siguieron fabricando cámaras Premo hasta 1922, cuando se abandonó ese nombre. En 1905 adquirió Folmer y Schwing, como veremos. Eastman murió en 1932 a la edad de 78 años. Poco después de llegar a Rochester, en 1929, tuvimos la suerte de ser invitados a uno de los musicales del domingo por la tarde del Sr. Eastman, probablemente debido a nuestra conexión con el nuevo Instituto de Óptica Aplicada en la Universidad. Apareció solo brevemente al final de la velada. Lo volví a ver poco antes de su muerte mientras estaba de visita en la Universidad.

La empresa de materiales fotográficos

De las diversas empresas adquiridas por Eastman, me gustaría hablar de tres, a saber, la Photo Materials Company (PMC) Folmer y Schwing y la Century Camera Company. The Photo Materials Company fue constituida en 1892 por Henry M. Reichenbach, un químico que había estado trabajando con Eastman durante varios años en el desarrollo de la película de nitrato de celulosa Gustave D. Milburn, un fabricante de cámaras y S. Carl Passavant, otro químico.

Milburn había abierto su fábrica de cámaras en 11 Aqueduct Street cuando la Rochester Optical Company se mudó, y en 1891 la rival Rochester Camera Company también encontró espacio en el mismo edificio. Milburn abandonó su negocio en 1892 para ayudar a fundar PMC, y se desempeñó como vendedor allí durante un par de años. Sin embargo, en 1894, cuando PMC dejó de fabricar sus cámaras Trokon y Trokonet, Milburn se fue y comenzó su segunda compañía de cámaras al pie de Platt Street. Aquí desarrolló la línea de cámaras & quotKorona & quot, y en 1895 cambió el nombre de su firma a Milburn Korona Company. Esta empresa fue adquirida por Gundlach en 1896 y Milburn murió o abandonó la ciudad.

Photo Materials Company fabricó una variedad de materiales fotográficos sensibilizados, incluido el papel "PMC Bromide Paper" y el papel "Azo", ambos retenidos por Eastman después de adquirir PMC en 1898. La empresa finalmente se fusionó con Eastman en 1902.

Reichanbach, Morey y Will

Aunque Henry Reichenbach era químico, evidentemente tenía un gran interés en las cámaras, ya que en 1896 dejó PMC y se unió a John E. Morey, de la compañía Rochester Cut Sole, y Albert Will, fabricante de estufas y estufas, para fundar una empresa para fabricar cámaras & quotAlta & quot; estaba ubicada en un edificio en 323 University Avenue. Reichenbach was president, Morey treasurer, and Will secretary of the new enterprise. I must explain that at that time University Avenue went along what is now Atlantic Avenue, the eastern end of the present University Avenue being a cul-de-sac with trees down the middle, called Culver Park. In 1897 Culver Park was cut through to join Culver Road, and the whole street was then called University Avenue, as it is today. The old road was renamed Atlantic Avenue but it was not renumbered, so that 323 University Avenue became 323 Atlantic Avenue. Two years later, in 1899, much of the city was renumbered, and Atlantic Avenue was numbered from the junction, so the Reichenbach Morey and Will building became 59 Atlantic. It was all one building with numbers 61 and 65, and indeed the three numbers seem to have been used somewhat interchangeably.

Vogt Optical Company

In 1891 a man named Louis J. Vogt, who had operated the Vogt and Klippert machine shop and model-making establishment at 151 State Street, left to become an optician at Bausch and Lomb. He later joined Reichenbach, Morey and Will as a foreman. Apparently there was dissension within the company, because in 1899 he and Mr. Morey decided to start a separate company called the Vogt Optical Company at 146 North Water Street. The following year (1900), Reichenbach, Morey and Will was disbanded and the Vogt Company moved into their building, along with the Rochester Lens Company and the Century Camera Company. The Vogt Company survived only one more year, but the Rochester Lens Company lasted until 1905 when it was acquired by Wollensak, and Century in 1903 moved to 12 Caledonia Avenue (now 154 Clarissa Street). The building at 65 Atlantic Avenue was apparently occupied by other firms until 1909 when the Crown Optical Company moved in and occupied it until 1912. The building is still standing but terribly run down.

Siglo

The Century Camera Company was founded in 1900 by three former employees of the Rochester Optical Company, namely, J. M. Walmsley, president, G. E. Mosher, and G. J. MacLaughlin. They first occupied space at 65 Atlantic Avenue along with Vogt and the Rochester Lens Company. In 1903 their stock was acquired by George Eastman and the company was moved to 12 Caledonia Avenue. In 1905 the Century Company took over the Rochester Panoramic Camera Company, maker of the Cirkut camera, which had been patented in 1904 by Johnston, Reavill, and Brehm. In 1907 they became the Century Division of Eastman Kodak. They were merged into Folmer Graflex, but the name "Century" continued to exist until 1920.

Graflex

In 1887 William F. Folmer and William E. Schwing entered into partnership to establish a bicycle company in New York City. The company was incorporated in April 1890 as the "Folmer and Schwing Manufacturing Company." Because of the general association of bicycles and cameras at that time, the company gradually added cameras to their line, probably made first by Scovill and Adams. Their 1896 catalog shows a "4 x 5 Cycle Graphic camera" on the back page this sold for $25 with a Victor shutter and Rapid Rectilinear lens. They also listed regular "Graphic" cameras in three sizes up to 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches, costing $50.

Mr. Folmer was an inventor, and in 1898 he built the first Graflex camera. This had a complicated focal-plane shutter with a variable aperture, but it gave so much trouble that in 1904 he changed it to a simple cloth curtain with a series of apertures of different widths, leaving the user to select the one required for any given exposure. This arrangement proved to be highly reliable, and it was manufactured for over 60 years.

In April 1905 the Folder and Schwing Manufacturing Company was purchased by George Eastman and brought to Rochester, where it was installed in the building at 12-14 Caledonia Avenue. This building had been previously occupied by the Rochester Camera Company, in 1898, and by the Century Camera Company since 1903. In 1907 the company became the Folmer and Schwing Division of Eastman Kodak Company, and in 1917 the Folmer-Century Division. Mr. W. F. Folmer continued as general manager until 1926.

In 1926, as a result of a court order, the Folmer-Century Division of Eastman Kodak Company was offered for sale, but no buyers appeared. So finally the Folmer Graflex Corporation was organized to take over the assets of the Division. Mr. Nelson Whitaker became president and general manager in 1928, and his son Gaylord C. Whitaker succeeded him in 1949. The company became known as "Graflex Inc." in 1945.

Business was bad during the depression of the 1930's, and the payroll dropped to less than 100 employees. However, things gradually improved and we learn that by 1957 there were 760 employees. The best known product of the company was for a long time the "Speed Graphic", a solid reliable camera that was the work-horse of the press photographer indeed, it almost became his badge of office. Numerous other models have, of course, been made over the years.

In August 1956 Graflex became a division of General Precision Equipment Corporation, and in July 1957 the plant was moved out to 3750 Monroe Avenue, near Pittsford. The company became the Graflex Division of the Singer Corporation in 1966, and it is now known as "Singer Education Systems", engaged in making audio-visual equipment.

Sunart and Seneca

Besides the three main divisions of photo history that have been discussed, there have been a number of other companies, not all small, that have had no connection with the larger companies. Chief among these is the Sunart Photo Company that became Seneca.

The Sunart Photo Company was founded in 1893 at 1 Aqueduct Street, and it continued in that location until 1899. They made a novel magazine camera, but it was not particularly successful, and in 1899 its assets were acquired by a vigorous group of men who were establishing the Seneca Camera Company at 248 Mill Street. The new company was incorporated in 1900 with a capital of $25,000. The first officers were Frank T. Day, a superintendent at Kodak Camera Works, president William C. Whitlock, vice-president and Lorin E. Mason, a hardware merchant at 348 State Street, secretary and treasurer. The new company quickly became established as one of the most successful camera manufacturers in the country.

In 1900 Seneca moved to 160 Court Street, and in 1903 to the Gundlach building at 761 South Clinton. In 1910 they moved again to the Woodworth building at 299 State Street, and in 1917 to Central Avenue where they occupied several locations. In 1924 the company was sold to Conley, then a wholly owned subsidiary of Sears Roebuck, and Seneca disappeared from the city in 1926.

In late 1901 or early 1902, Seneca absorbed the Bullard Camera Company of Springfield, Massachusetts, when Edgar R. Bullard, the founder, returned to his original home at Wheeling, West Virginia. The 1902 Seneca catalog carries these words: "Successor to Sunart Photo Co. and Bullard Camera Co."

As a personal note, my father in London used a 4 x 5 Bullard magazine camera for many years. It was equipped with a Koilos shutter and a Voigtlander Collinear lens, which must have been added later as that particular shutter was first made about 1906. My own first camera was a 4 x 5 folding Seneca with a Wollensak "Uno" shutter. I acquired it in exchange for a set of box tops of the cereal called "Force" about 1912, and I used it regularly until one day I could not resist taking the shutter to pieces, and in the process a wire spring flew out and I never found it again. The shutter was useless without it, and so also was the camera. I still have a number of glass negatives made with that early Seneca.

The Crown Optical Company

This company was founded in 1906 by A. H. Hatmaker, president, and A. E. May secretary-treasurer, to manufacture lenses. They first occupied a building at 484 Clinton Avenue South, and moved to 65 Atlantic Avenue in 1909, to 299 State Street in 1912, and finally to 203 State Street in 1917. They disappeared in 1919 at the close of World War I.

Projection Optics

One of the few Rochester companies that has apparently existed by itself and free from any alliances or encumbrances is the Projection Optics Company. It was founded in 1918 by William H. Repp, at 203 State Street, and in 1930 it was moved to its present address at 330 Lyell Avenue. Its principal product is a line of projection lenses for professional motion picture projectors. The company was acquired in the 1960's by Beseler of New York, but it remains a largely autonomous organization to this day, after being in existence for 56 years.

Gassner and Marx

Probably the least known of the Rochester camera companies was Gassner and Marx. The founders were Benjamin Marx, president James Rothschild, vice-president and Henry Gassner, secretary-treasurer. The company occupied rooms in the Cox building at 36 St. Paul Street in 1898, and it was incorporated in that year. They manufactured the "Day Plate Camera", a box camera containing a special magazine in which a folded strip of black paper carried a series of separated 3 x 4 -inch glass plates (Pat. Sept. 6, 1898), permitting daylight loading. The arrangement was described in Scientific American for October 8, 1898. The company and all its officers left the city during the following year (1899).

Movette

The Movette was an unusual negative-positive motion picture system using a special 17 1/2 millimeter film, with two perforations to a frame on each side. The frame size was 11 x 14 mm, and a special Kodak film was supplied in cassettes holding 50 feet which ran for two minutes. The hand-cranked camera retailed for $30 and the projector for $55, a packet of film costing $1.50 with another $1.50 for a positive print. The inventor of the system was a Mr. Frank L. Hough of Chicago.

The Movette Camera Company was organized in Rochester in 1916, and was first located at 1155 University Avenue. In November 1917 it was incorporated as Movette Inc., with a capital stock of $1,250,000, and the plant was moved to 545 West Avenue. In 1920 they moved again to 295 State Street, the building later occupied by the Photostat Corporation. The chairman was then Homer Strong, the secretary W. F. Strang, and the president was Howard Strong, secretary to the Rochester Chamber of Commerce. In 1921 Howard Strong moved to New York, and Homer Strong took over the presidency. In 1922 the company moved to 101 North Water Street, and by 1927 it had disappeared.

In spite of everything, the Movette had little appeal to the public. Possibly the need for a separate positive print may have been one reason. Certainly the Kodak 16mm reversal system announced in June 1923 proved to be infinitely more successful and quickly replaced all other systems.

Photostat and Rectigraph

These early types of document copying cameras using sensitized paper in a large camera, with a prism in front of the lens to reverse the image, must be included in my story although they have now practically disappeared.

The Rectigraph company was founded in Rochester in 1909, and after occupying a few places was moved to its final location at 282 Hollenbeck Street in 1921. In 1937 it became the Rectigraph Division of Haloid in 1958 of Haloid-Xerox and in 1961 the company was merged into the Xerox Corporation. Obviously, with electrostatic copying working so well the old type of photocopier using wet processing quickly became obsolete.

The Photostat Corporation was incorporated in Rhode Island in 1911, and the company set up an office and factory at 299 State Street, Rochester, in 1921. In 1956 they moved out of town, to 1001 Jefferson Road in Henrietta, and in 1963 it was absorbed by Itek and is now known as "Itek Business Products." Undoubtedly the old familiar type of Photostat machine has disappeared forever.

Present day optics companies in Rochester

Besides Kodak, Bausch and Lomb, Ilex, and Projection Optics, there are Tropel of Fairport, making very high quality lenses (now owned by Coherent Optics of California) Anson Instrument Company and Anstron Optical Company in the former Wollensak building on Hudson Avenue Planar Optics making prisms of all types Stefan Sydor Optics Dorn Optics in Webster Fresnel Optics on Mount Read Boulevard making high precision molds for Fresnel Lenses JML Optical Industries (was Precision Optics) and several smaller companies. The optical center of America is no longer in Rochester, but spread between Boston and Los Angeles.

Rudolf Kingslake , the author of numerous books on lens and optical design, has spent his lifetime designing and teaching about lenses and optics. Born in London, England, he moved to the United States in 1929 to help establish The Institute of Optics at the University of Rochester. In 1937 he became head of the lens design department at Eastman Kodak. He returned to the University of Rochester upon retiring from Kodak.

In his honor, the annual Rudolf Kingslake Medal and Prize is presented by The International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) in recognition of the most noteworthy original paper to appear in Optical Engineering, the SPIE journal on theoretical or experimental aspects of optical engineering.

In addition, Mr. Kingslake is an honorary member of the Optics Society of America (OSA), an honor that can only be bestowed once per year, and the number of honorary members cannot exceed 1/1000 of the total OSA membership.


Eastman Patents Camera - History

Objectively innovate empowered manufactured products whereas parallel platforms. Holisticly predominate extensible testing procedures for reliable supply chains. Dramatically engage top-line web services vis-a-vis cutting-edge deliverables.

Eastman Kodak Co. Camera Listing

CLICK HERE for an icon list view of the Eastman Kodak Cameras

Kodak Cameras - Made in the USA

1931 - 1934 Camp Fire Girls (V.P. Model B)
1933 - 1933 Century of Progress World Fair Souvenir
1933 - 1933 Century of Progress - Eastman Box
1953 - 1956 Chevron
1930 - 1932 Coquette Camera (lipstick & compact)

1939 - 1940 New York World's Fair Baby Brownie
1939 - 1940 New York World's Fair Bullet Camera

1916 - 1927 No. 2C Autographic Kodak Junior
1923 - 1928 No. 2C Autographic Kodak Special w/coupled rangefinder
1905 - 1911 No. 2C Brownie
1924 - 1931 No. 2C Kodak Series III
1926 - 1932 No. 2C Pocket Kodak
1928 - 1933 No. 2C Pocket Kodak Special Camera

1931 - 1934 Camp Fire Girls (V.P. Model B)
1933 - 1933 Century of Progress World Fair Souvenir
1933 - 1933 Century of Progress - Eastman Box
1953 - 1956 Chevron
1930 - 1932 Coquette Camera (lipstick & compact)

1939 - 1940 New York World's Fair Baby Brownie
1939 - 1940 New York World's Fair Bullet Camera

1916 - 1927 No. 2C Autographic Kodak Junior
1923 - 1928 No. 2C Autographic Kodak Special w/coupled rangefinder
1905 - 1911 No. 2C Brownie
1924 - 1931 No. 2C Kodak Series III
1926 - 1932 No. 2C Pocket Kodak
1928 - 1933 No. 2C Pocket Kodak Special Camera

1931 - 1933 Rainbow Hawk-eye Vest Pocket
1932 - 1934 Ranca
1932 - 1940 RECOMAR 18 & 33
1946 - 1949 Reflex
1948 - 1954 Reflex II
1935 - 1939 Regent
1939 - 1939 Regent II
1960 - 1963 Retina Automatic I
1960 - 1963 Retina Automatic II
1961 - 1963 Retina Automatic III
1934 - 1937 Retina (Black top plate)
1937 - 1939 Retina I (Chrome top plate)
1939 - 1951 Retina I
1951 - 1954 Retina IA
1954 - 1957 Retina Ib
1937 - 1950 Retina II
1951 - 1954 Retina IIa
1954 - 1957 Retina IIc
1964 - 1967 Retina IIF
1954 - 1958 Retina IIIc
1958 - 1961 Retina IIIC
1959 - 1961 Retina IIIs
1958 - 1959 Retina Reflex
1961 - 1965 Retina Reflex III
1964 - 1968 Retina Reflex IV
1959 - 1961 Retina Reflex S
1967 - 1970 Retina S1 Camera
1952 - 1954 Retinette
1959 - 1967 Retinette 1A 1931 - 1933 Rainbow Hawk-eye Vest Pocket
1932 - 1934 Ranca
1932 - 1940 RECOMAR 18 & 33
1946 - 1949 Reflex
1948 - 1954 Reflex II
1935 - 1939 Regent
1939 - 1939 Regent II
1960 - 1963 Retina Automatic I
1960 - 1963 Retina Automatic II
1961 - 1963 Retina Automatic III
1934 - 1937 Retina (Black top plate)
1937 - 1939 Retina I (Chrome top plate)
1939 - 1951 Retina I
1951 - 1954 Retina IA
1954 - 1957 Retina Ib
1937 - 1950 Retina II
1951 - 1954 Retina IIa
1954 - 1957 Retina IIc
1964 - 1967 Retina IIF
1954 - 1958 Retina IIIc
1958 - 1961 Retina IIIC
1959 - 1961 Retina IIIs
1958 - 1959 Retina Reflex
1961 - 1965 Retina Reflex III
1964 - 1968 Retina Reflex IV
1959 - 1961 Retina Reflex S
1967 - 1970 Retina S1 Camera
1952 - 1954 Retinette
1959 - 1967 Retinette 1A -->

Kodak AG Cameras - Made in Germany
1933 - 1936 Brownie Junior 620
1938 - 1939 Kodak Suprema
c1947 - 1955 Pionier Deko

Kodak Brasileira Cameras - Made in Brazil

Kodak AG Cameras - Made in Germany
1933 - 1936 Brownie Junior 620
1938 - 1939 Kodak Suprema
c1947 - 1955 Pionier Deko


Key events in the history of Eastman Kodak Co.

Kodak postpones an auction of its imaging patent portfolios, though negotiations continue as it looks to sell the patents as it tries to emerge from bankruptcy protection. Here are key events in the history of Eastman Kodak Co.:

1880 — George Eastman begins commercial production of dry plates for photography in a rented loft of a building in Rochester, N.Y.

1888 — The name "Kodak" is born and the Kodak camera is marketed with the slogan, "You press the button, we do the rest."

1889 — The Eastman Co. is formed, taking over the assets of the Eastman Dry Plate and Film Co.

1892 — The company becomes Eastman Kodak Company of New York.

1900 — The first Brownie camera is introduced. Selling for $1 and using film that costs 15 cents a roll, it brings hobby photography within financial reach.

1929 — The company introduces its first motion picture film.

1935 — Kodachrome film is introduced and becomes the first commercially successful amateur color film.

1951 — The low-priced Brownie 8mm movie camera is introduced, followed by Brownie movie projector in 1952.

1962 — The company's U.S. consolidated sales exceed $1 billion for the first time. Its work force tops 75,000.

1963 — Kodak introduces a line of easy-to-use Instamatic cameras with cartridge-loading film (selling more than 50 million by 1970).

1972 — Five pocket-size Instamatic cameras that use smaller cartridges are launched. More than 25 million cameras sell in less than three years.

1975 — Kodak invents the world's first digital camera. The toaster-size prototype captures black-and-white images at a resolution of 10,000 pixels (.01 megapixels).

1981 — Company sales surpass the $10 billion revenue mark. The next year, hometown payroll peaks at 60,400.

1984 — Kodak enters the video market with the Kodavision Series 2000 8mm video system and introduces Kodak videotape cassettes in 8mm, Beta and VHS formats, along with a line of floppy disks for computers.

1988 — Global payroll peaks at 145,300.

1992 — Kodak launches a writeable CD that its first customer, MCI, used for producing telephone bills for corporate accounts.

2003 — Launch of Kodak Easyshare printer dock 6000, which produces durable, borderless 4-by-6-inch prints.

2004 — Kodak begins digital makeover, the same year it gets ejected from the 30-stock Dow Jones industrial average. It cuts tens of thousands of jobs as it closes factories and changes businesses.

2008 — Kodak begins mining its patent portfolio, which generates nearly $2 billion in fees over three years.

2010 — Kodak sues Apple Inc. and Research in Motion Ltd. before the U.S. International Trade Commission, claiming the smartphone makers are infringing its 2001 patent for technology that lets a camera preview low-resolution versions of a moving image while recording still images at higher resolutions. Global employment falls to 18,800.

July 20, 2011 — Kodak begins shopping around its 1,100 digital-imaging patents.

Sept. 27 — Moody's Investors Services downgrades all of its debt ratings for Kodak, citing ongoing weakness in the company's core business operations and the likelihood that flagging demand will hamper results indefinitely.

Oct. 3 — Kodak confirms it has hires Jones Day, a law firm that lists bankruptcies and restructuring among its specialties.

Oct. 16 — Kodak says Imax Co is licensing thousands of patents covering laser projection technology, giving Kodak millions of dollars in revenue. The Kodak patents will allow Imax to provide high-quality digital content for theater screens larger than 80 feet and domed theaters for the first time. Screens that large had previously been limited to film content.

Dec. 19 — Judge extends Apple camera-patent dispute into 2012.

Dec. 22 — Kodak says it has agreed to sell its gelatin business as it looks to boost its dwindling cash reserves. The product is used in photographic and printing processes as well as in food, pharmaceuticals.

Jan. 10, 2012 — Kodak announces plans to realign and simplify its business to cut costs, accelerate its digital transformation and boost its share price. The new structure has two business units — commercial and consumer — instead of three — traditional film and photo paper products consumer digital imaging and graphic communications, which included printing equipment.

Jan. 19 — Kodak files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as it seeks to boost its cash position and stay in business.

Feb. 9 — Kodak says it will stop making digital cameras, pocket video cameras and digital picture frames.

Feb. 15 — Kodak receives court approval to end its sponsorship deal with the Hollywood theater that is the venue for the Academy Awards. Kodak had signed a $74 million deal for naming rights to the theater in 2000. During the Feb. 26 Oscars ceremony, host Billy Crystal jokingly refers to the venue as "the beautiful Chapter 11 Theater."

March 1 — Kodak says it plans to sell its online photo service business to online photo publishing company Shutterfly Inc. for $23.8 million.

April 27 — Kodak says its first-quarter loss widened on a drop in sales and hefty charges related to its reorganization. Revenue fell 27 percent to $965 million, partially as a result of the company's decision to stop selling digital cameras and focus on its other businesses.

April 30 — Kodak lawyers tell a bankruptcy judge that turnover has become a serious problem. The company was granted approval to pay up to $13.5 million in bonuses to persuade key managers to stay on.

May 1 — Audio technology company Dolby Laboratories Inc. gets naming rights to the Oscars venue after Kodak ends a deal early. Bankruptcy judge issues order approving sale of online photo business to Shutterfly.

May 3 — Kodak says Pradeep Jotwani is resigning as the president of consumer business and chief marketing officer. No reason was given.

July 2 — Kodak shuts down Kodak Gallery, North American accounts go to Shutterfly. Judge rules that Kodak can proceed with auctioning some 1,100 digital imaging patents, about 10 percent of the company's portfolio.

Aug. 23 — Kodak says it will sell its document imaging and personalized imaging businesses to better focus on printing and business services. The company says the sale of the units, along with cost-cutting measures and the auction of its patent portfolio, will help it emerge from bankruptcy sometime in 2013. Kodak's document imaging division makes scanners and offers related software and services. The personalized imaging business includes photo paper and still camera film products. It also offers souvenir photo products at theme parks and other venues.

Sept. 10 — Kodak says it is reshuffling executives and cutting thousands of jobs. Kodak says it cut about 2,700 employees worldwide since the beginning of the year and plans to cut about 1,000 more by the end of 2012. The company says annual savings from the cuts should reach about $330 million.

Friday — Kodak postpones indefinitely an auction of its imaging patent portfolios, even as negotiations with potential buyers continue. Kodak also says an alternative option is to keep the patents and create a company to make money by licensing the technology.


Now Streaming

Mr. Tornado

Mr. Tornado is the remarkable story of the man whose groundbreaking work in research and applied science saved thousands of lives and helped Americans prepare for and respond to dangerous weather phenomena.

The Polio Crusade

The story of the polio crusade pays tribute to a time when Americans banded together to conquer a terrible disease. The medical breakthrough saved countless lives and had a pervasive impact on American philanthropy that continues to be felt today.

American Oz

Explore the life and times of L. Frank Baum, creator of the beloved The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.


125 Years Ago Today, George Eastman Patented the Box Camera, Trademarked “Kodak”

Yesterday, Kodak exited bankruptcy, and the world of consumer products, in order to protect what remains of the once megalithic company. It seems a sad coincidence that exactly 125 years ago, George Eastman patented the original box camera, and trademarked the name “Kodak”, starting what was to become one of the powerhouses of the popular camera movement.

On September 4, 1888, George Eastman was granted patent US388,850, for a “camera” — a camera that was to become the foundation of the Kodak empire, and later became known as the Kodak box camera.

The original Kodak box camera marked one of the first popular and easy to use cameras, pushing photography into a hobby that almost anyone could enjoy. Just three years after Eastman had invented the roll film, the Kodak box camera could carry enough film for 100 exposures, and had a fixed focal length. It was the first camera designed specifically for rolls of film, a form factor that would come to dominate the industry.

Not only was the original Kodak camera patented today, but September 4 was also the day that George Eastman trademarked the name Kodak and the tagline “You Press the Button, We Do the Rest”. Kodak was an entirely made up word, which he explained as:

It’s astonishing to think that its been exactly 125 years since one of the most formative photographic powerhouses officially appeared, and while the company might be in tricky financial times now, we can still look back on the incredible things they accomplished before now.


Kodak No. 1

los Kodak was George Eastman's legendary first rollfilm camera bearing the new brand name "Kodak", patented and introduced in 1888. It used Eastman stripping negative film. los Kodak No. 1 of 1889 resembled the Kodak, but featured a more sophisticated shutter. It was available for Eastman stripping negative film or Eastman transparent film.

In use, the shutter was set by pulling a string the camera was sighted by looking along a V-shape on the top of the camera. The shutter was tripped by pressing a button on the camera's side. After exposure, the key was used to wind the film to the next frame. The film moved past a shaft, rotating it, which caused a pointer visible on the top of the camera to rotate, so the photographer could be sure of advancing the correct amount of film. Once one hundred pictures had been taken, the user sent the whole camera back to Kodak for film processing and reloading - at a cost of $10 Ώ] . A hundred round negatives with a diameter of 65mm came from each roll of Eastman American Film. The round image was a design decision, partly as a way of ensuring that the photographer didn't have to hold the camera exactly level with the horizon, and partly to compensate for the poor image quality at the corners of the image. These first Kodak cameras were designed by George Eastman in collaboration with a cabinetmaker, Frank A. Brownell, who set up the production line at Eastman's factory. They are beautifully built, with box joints and strong leather covering.


Action Cameras

While action cameras and quad-rotor helicopters are mostly geared toward shooting video, these two advancements bear mentioning, simply because of how much they’ve advanced people’s ability to capture amazing images.

GoPro HD Hero

A surfer named Nick Woodman wanted a way to capture photos while he was surfing, so he began tinkering with 35mm cameras. Woodman continued to improve on his design, and in 2010, his company, GoPro, released the GoPro HD Hero.

The HD Hero marked the first rugged, waterproof camera able to capture video in 1080p. Since then, the Hero line of cameras has become the standard in the now-widespread market of action cameras.


Philanthropist

Although his company was essentially a monopoly for many years, Eastman was not the average corporate industrialist. He was one of the first American industrialists to embrace and implement the concept of employee profit sharing in the United States, and, in addition, he made an outright gift from his own money to each of his workers. In 1919, he added what is known now as stock options.

His generosity extended beyond his own business, as he gave to the struggling Mechanics Institute of Rochester, which became the Rochester Institute of Technology, as well as M.I.T. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). His high regard for education in general led him to contribute to University of Rochester, and the Hampton and Tuskegee institutes. "The progress of the world depends almost entirely upon education," he said.

Dental clinics both in Rochester and in Europe were also a focus of his concern. "It is a medical fact," he said, "that children can have a better chance in life with better looks, better health and more vigor if the teeth, nose, throat and mouth are taken proper care of at the crucial time of childhood."

In all, it is estimated that Eastman contributed more than $100 million of his wealth for philanthropic purposes during his lifetime.


May 2, 1887: Celluloid-Film Patent Ignites Long Legal Battle

To revist this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories.

To revist this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories.

__1887: __The Rev. Hannibal Goodwin files a patent application for camera film on celluloid rolls. He beats the Eastman Kodak company by two years and sets off a 27-year legal battle.

Goodwin was an Episcopal rector in Newark, New Jersey. He liked projecting lantern-slides of Bible stories to his Sunday school classes and wanted to try making his own. However, he found the intricacies of glass-plate photography too daunting and decided he could invent a better medium for holding the photographic emulsion.

He was a 65-year old clergyman, not a professional chemist, but two years of tinkering in his attic laboratory finally produced a flexible film from nitrocellulose, a trademarked plastic introduced in 1869. Without a clear understanding of the chemistry involved, he filed a vaguely worded patent application.

Meanwhile, George Eastman introduced rolls of photographic film in 1888, but the rolls were made of paper. Developing the negatives was costly, time-consuming and often produced streaked or blurry images. Professional photographers and serious amateur first adopters would have none of it.

Eastman set his chemist Henry Reichenbach to develop a film medium that would be clear, light, flexible, capable of holding the photochemical emulsion, and resistant to folding, shriveling, stretching, wrinkles, blemishes, bubbles and streaks. Quite a task.

Reichenbach wound up developing a formula remarkably similar to Goodwin's, with one additional ingredient: camphor. He filed a tightly worded patent application in April 1889.

Goodwin's application had been languishing with multiple revisions required to get it in proper form and specificity. The Reichenbach patent was approved in December 1889. The new Kodak film went on sale the next year and was an immediate success.

Goodwin, now retired, contested the Eastman-Reichenbach patent. The case wound its way through the labyrinthine administrative patent process until 1898, when Goodwin was finally awarded his patent. Goodwin died on what is considered the last day of the 19th century: Dec. 31, 1900.

His widow sold the Goodwin company to Anthony & Scovill (which became Ansco in 1907). The new company produced a small amount of film based on Goodwin's original patent, and then it sued Eastman Kodak.

The big company's problem was that in order to improve its film and accommodate new manufacturing processes, it had reduced the amount of camphor in its formula until its product was virtually indistinguishable from Rev. Goodwin's original formula. After more than a decade of legal wrangling, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found in favor of Ansco and Goodwin's heirs (.pdf) in 1914.

Goodwin's patent was due to expire the following year, but Eastman Kodak had to pay out more than $5 million ($111 million in today's money, and 5 percent of George Eastman's net worth then) for past infringement and future license. Other film companies ponied up another $300,000.

Except for the substitution of acetate for celluloid, Goodwin's original technology dominated photography for a century before the advent of digital cameras. But he's hardly a household name.


Ver el vídeo: Camara Lectora de Patente (Diciembre 2021).